Monday, June 26, 2017

Where Am I?

Monday, June 26, 2017


Weight Today: 160.5 lbs
Weight Lost Past Week 0
Total Weight Loss: 66
Rate of Loss: 1.55/wk

Well, it has been 6 months since my last post. Where I have I been? Well, doing my Keto life style. I have also been coaching a number of people and have started Reversing Diabetes - British Columbia. I have been experimenting with new types of flours: nut, coconut, Carbalose, and oat fibre. I have to try experimenting with Isolate Whey Protein which also helps to give substance to your baked items. It has been an interesting journey but my health has been the most amazing. The benefits I have received far outweigh the need to have bread in my life. I am anxious to try bread using the oat fibre.

There is still so much to learn about this way of eating and there is much controversy and confusion. Why is that? Well, some do keto and LCHF to only lose weight. Their rules are quite different than if you are Insulin Resistant or have diabetes like I do. For us, the rules are quite stricter. For diabetics who eat this way we count TOTAL carbs and not NET carbs. Carbs mess with our insulin even when they are not digestible. Many find their blood glucose spikes and if trying to lose weight, the weight loss will stall. Also, many low carb and keto followers who are not diabetic, use many of the sugar substitutes and alcohol sugars. Again, test with your meter. Although they are said to not spike blood sugars, they can and will raise insulin levels. If insulin levels are up, you will not lose weight. In addition, although the are said to not raise glucose, they do for some people. I am one of them. So check your readings if you use them. Also, we stick to no more than 20 g of carbs per day. Non-diabetic may go to 50 or even 100.  Anything over 20 g of carbs for diabetics will tend to raise blood glucose readings and raise insulin resistance. For more than 20 years, I ate around 100 g of carbs per day (pretty low by the CDA and ADA recommendations) and gained weight despite only eating between 900- 1000 calories per day and exercising for 1 - 2 hours a day for 5 days per week. There is no safe levels of carbs for me. Cheating. That word. It was just a little cheat. Not very serious. Well, if you are not insulin resistant or diabetic, it might not mean much. I cheated a few times and paid a big price. A nugget potato one time, 1/2 slice of bread another, or eating some dried ribs that were lightly floured. Yep, that last one made me really sick. My insomnia was back, my reflux was horrible, I had diarrhea for 3 days and my blood glucose was in the 7's and stayed high for almost a week. I gained 6 pounds. It took a week for everything to settle back down. I learned my lesson. So cheat?? It doesn't fit into my scheme of things. The cost is too high.

I have made some out of this world muffins. My hubby loves them, and my professional baker friend loves them too. She said they are better than the regular ones. Bonus!! I will write about them in the upcoming days. 
Tonight for dinner I made a Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole of my own making. It wasn't too bad.

Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole (5 servings)

1.28 pounds of hamburger (that was what was in the pkg. You can use more or less, but the protein           count will change.1 pkg Mann's Power Blend (Sold with pkg's salad mix)
1 cup Alymer's Hot and Spicy canned Tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp Dill Weed|
2 ozs white vinegar
4 ounces beef, chicken, or bone brroth or water
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger. I did not drain as we need 80% of calories from fats. Add garlic and dill. Add veggies and tomatoes. Add vinegar and broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover for 15 minutes and then removed lid to allow liquid to cook down. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. I also added a tsp of bacon fat to my serving. It was pretty good.

Per Serving
Cals: 358.2  Fat 26.4g  Carbs 7.2 Protein 22.6

With the added bacon fat/butter and sour cream
Cals 530.2  Fat 42.4  Carbs 9.2  Protein 25.6

I do try to keep my carbs to 7g per meal, but as I did not have any carbs at all today, I felt this was okay. You can make the recipe 6 servings if you wish to have fewer carbs or eliminate the sour cream. 


1 comment:

  1. I know you from the Facebook fasting for weight loss group. Thanks for sharing, it really helps us all!

    ReplyDelete