Sunday, October 9, 2016

Fats Up Results In Fat Down

I'm still at 204 today but not surprising as I had such a big drop yesterday.

I had only lost 1.5 last week and wondered if I had plateaued after losing an avg. of 3.5 lbs. a week for the previous weeks. After some more reading I realized that I was sabotaging myself. The low fat myth had really become a way of living, and subconscious thinking. I have been buying the low fat and lean meats. In addition, I was only putting vinegar (I love rice wine vinegar) and spices on my salads, no oils. Got to keep those fats down!  Uh huh! It seems if you want to go in to ketosis you must have at least 60% of your calories coming from fat. Your body will burn the fat and fat cells for fuel as it has very few carbs to convert to sugar and burn for energy. Fat that you consume can never be converted to sugar by your body. Protein will make sugar in an inefficient process called gluconeogenesis, but much less than carbs.  I have been trying to keep carbs below 50g a day, but apparently 30 is better. The rest of the calories are from protein. So two days ago I upped my fats, lowered my carbs and yesterday it showed with a 2 lb. drop overnight, which is more than I lost for the previous 7 days!

So as you know by now this is all pretty new to me and I’m still learning. I thought food would be soooooo boring! But, as I have discovered, it is not! In fact it tastes better than the many other recipes I have made over the years. So far, so good. My lunch today was yummy! Oh my goodness! My husband kept exclaiming with each spoonful, “Oh, it’s good!” and he is not a fan of soups. It’s my own recipe adapted from a number of recipes that I found on the net. It has a fair amount of salt, as the chicken broth I had in the cupboard had a lot. In the future I will look for lower sodium broths or I will make my own. Also, I only had half and half cream on hand, but next time I will use full cream.

I'd already started to eat it and realized I had forgotten to take
a photo!. It was topped with yummy cheese and crispy bacon.

Kicked up Cheesy Bacon Cauliflower Soup

1 Knorr’s Homestyle Chicken Boullion Container
3.5 cups water
7 oz raw cauliflower flowerets (add more or less to your liking. I just used what I had on hand)
1 stalk celery
2 brussel sprouts for a nice color (besides they are high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K)
4 slices of bacon. My weight after cooking them was .7 ounce
3.6 oz. cheddar (I wanted 4, but that was all that was in the bag)
½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (for the kick, add more or less as you like)
1 tsp. chopped garlic
I ounce mozzarella for topping.

Cut up the cauliflower and celery and blend with the water in your blender. I used my Magic Bullet. Add to pan with the container of bouillon. Add the spices. Let cook for about 10 minutes. While cooking, fry up the bacon, chop up the Brussel sprouts, and grate the cheese.

Add the cream, cheese, Brussel sprouts and half the bacon. Cook for another 5 minutes.

Dish into serving bowl and garnish with one ounce of mozzarella cheese and the rest of the bacon. It makes 4 servings.

Calories per serving 301, Fat 22.2, Carb 8.44 with 2.32 being dietary fibre, Protein 18.8
Percentages: Fat 64%, Protein 25%, Carbs 11% 
I find it fascinating that when you go Low Carb, that your body will start burning your stored fat for it’s energy. I absolutely notice the difference in my abdomen. It started with a dent that started on my sides and has gone clear across my abdomen with noticeable shrinking. I am still too embarrassed to take my measurements as I don’t want to know what my abdomen measures. On the other hand, my belly has dropped and I have this flappy apron thing happening. I am hoping that this too will vanish with the fat. Hubby and I bowled together yesterday and when we got home he said to me, “I don’t mean this in a bad way or anything, but I noticed that your clothes are a little baggy.” HAHA! Take it in a bad way?!?!  I am thrilled that it is even noticeable to others.
I don’t exercise a whole lot. I bowl on Fridays. I sort of try to walk for minimum of 20 minutes a day, but I am definitely a fair weather walker and it’s the rainy season now. Cold and damp is not something that my arthritis takes kindly too. I have a stool that I do step ups on. I try to do 3 sets of 20 each day.  Try, because I broke my kneecap in January and tore the ACL in my other knee in April. Too many steps and it my knees complain bitterly. On the plus side, I do have more energy, so my bed gets made and I clean the house more, so more activity equals more calories being burned. I will just keep plodding along at the pace I can handle. I have no desire to be an athlete and won’t pretend otherwise. My idea of exercise is wielding a crochet hook or a set of knitting needles for two hours.

For dinner I made the best sauce ever to have with my pork chops. I used this recipe as my inspiration.

Creamy Green Salsa Lemon Cilantro Sauce (5 servings of 1.5 to 2 tbsps)

5 pork steaks about 4 ounces each
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chicken broth (I used homemade from my freezer)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1 Tbsp cilantro
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp Green Salsa
1 Tbsp sour cream
3 Tbsps half and half (I would use whole cream but it is what I had in the fridge)

Fry the pork chops in an oven safe pan until they are browned on both sides. Remove to a dish and add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Re-add the pork steaks and place in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until done.
Calories per serving (sauce only) 78, Fat 7.64, Carb 1.73 with .161 being dietary fibre, Protein 1,28
Percentages: Fat 84%, Protein 7%, Carbs 9%

With the Pork Steak (4 oz)
Calories per serving 278, Fat 17.2, Carb 1.73 with .161 being dietary fibre, Protein 28.2
Percentages: Fat 57%, Protein 41%, Carbs 2%

I served it with Brussel sprouts topped with crispy bacon, and a side green salad with cucumbers, celery, and tomatoes with oil and vinegar dressing. 

It was so good I wanted to lick my plate! I should
have made sure a couple cherry tomatoes were 

positioned on top of the salad. It looks very green!

No comments:

Post a Comment