Saturday, October 8, 2016

Dieting Yo-Yo or Rising Like a Hot Air Balloon


Today my weight is 204 lbs. Down 2 pounds from yesterday.

In my younger days, my youth and adulthood, up to the age of 40; I was skinny. I got called Annie which was apparently a way of letting me know (in case I already didn’t) that I looked anorexic. My weight ranged between 112 – 118 and never budged. Except when I was pregnant. Yes, that was an ordeal as I am one of those unfortunate people who had hyperemesis gravidarum which just means that you throw up. A lot. All the time. For the entire 9 months. With my first child I was hospitalized during the third month of my pregnancy for malnutrition. I had gone down to 105 lbs. on my then 5 ft 8.5 in frame. That ½ inch was important to me back then. I loved being tall. The day I gave birth, my weight after the delivery was lighter than when I got pregnant.

That was my life. I had a harder time putting on weight than losing it. I would weigh myself before bed and then again in the morning and sometimes there was 5 pound difference. How is it possible that one can lose 5 lbs overnight? I don’t know. It just happened. People were pointing out that I “needed to eat”. Uh, Duh? I loved mashed potatoes and gravy. I loved anything that had whipped cream. I never worried about eating it, yet the scales never budged. Pizzas, hamburgers, pyroghy’s, cabbage rolls, pasta, everything. My needle on the scale was glued in place. A pretty solid 115 to 117. Someone said beer, or was it stout, or ale; I can’t remember; would also fatten me up. Well, that didn’t work either and I had developed a pretty nasty addiction to alcohol which I beat in 1989. Nary a drop since then. Now it sounds like I was eating unhealthy but in fact I wasn’t. I just didn’t worry about what I ate. I just ate. Then I hit 40.

When I was in my forties some things happened. I had a medical condition in which I had to go on steroid medications on two occasions. They were very short times but they affected my weight in a big way. The first time I went on them was for 3 months and I went from my very reliable glued to scale weight of 117 to over 140. The heaviest I had ever been, even when preggers. I had to work like hell to get down to 130 and I could not get it any lower. I exercised, jogged, rode bicycles, swam, lifted weights and did weight and circuit training. The needle on the scale barely moved. I walked 3 – 5 miles every day and then as a desperate last resort went on a starvation diet which allowed me to lose 8 lbs. It came back all at once after a night of pizza. No, I did not eat 24,000 calories of pizza either. I ate what most prudent people would have ate. I could not understand it. Over a period of 20 years I gained 107 pounds. That is about 4 pounds a year. Not much when you put it like that, but when you cannot take it off, it adds up.

I went to doctors and they gave me the calories in and calories out spiel, although I had been weighing and tracking and recording every morsel of food I put in my mouth. I had it documented. They accused me of being dishonest. One doctor who was so extremely obese himself that he resembled Jabba the Hut; rudely said “Push the plate away from your face!”. I was humiliated. To make it even worse, I was only 150 lbs at that time. Nothing made sense or added up.

Then I found Dr. Bernstein. He explains it so well. Insulin is a fat hormone and it makes fat. It takes the sugar from your food and the sugar in carbs to burn it for energy and store the excess. Because I was insulin resistant. My cells were resistant to insulin, so then my liver got involved with helping out. After a meal, like pasta, more people’s blood glucose levels would go up before the body started to burn the glucose or turn it body fat. In me, my blood glucose would have gone up and stayed that way for a long because my body could not burn it efficiently and thus created more fat cells. The more fat cells you have, the more insulin you need, the more you need, the more the body makes and in my case couldn’t use, and the fatter you get. Especially around the middle where mine is. It was a vicious cycle and one that even the doctors did not diagnose until finally one listened to me.

The current recommendations by the ADA and the CDA to eat carbs is a death sentence for diabetics. It will make you sick! As diabetics, carbs are out enemy. Our bodies are resistant to the insulin doing the work it is designed to do. If you were a celiac you would have to avoid wheat, otherwise, you writhe in pain. If you were allergic to shellfish, you have to avoid it because you would, well, die. If you are a diabetic, you need to avoid carbs in the form of grains, and sugars. In addition, rice, beans, peas, beets, and carrots. Some each some of the latter but there is a lot of sugar in them, so if it causes your blood sugar to rise, you need to avoid them.

The dilemma of what to eat. Well, thank goodness for me, I have eaten a rather healthy diet over the years with little in the way of prepared or pre-packaged food. The difficulty was in not using taters, peas (too much sugar), carrots, beets. Now I had a Ukrainian mom. How can I possible live with Borscht? But on the good side, I can use butter, cream, and eat bacon and eggs to my hearts content. I have tried some of the low carb recipes I have found on the net, and so far; they are absolutely delicious and have far succeeded my expectations. When I saw my doctor 3 weeks after my diagnosis he was in awe of me. He said most people when they get diagnosed want to jump off a bridge and I wasn’t. Nope. I am excited and revitalized at this new way of living. It made so much sense when I read what Dr. Bernstein wrote in his book because it described me to a T. He is my hero. 



Dinner. Oven baked cod with spices and butter, asparagus
with butter, coleslaw with mayo and sour cream and spices, with
a few colorful cherry tomatoes. Who says low carb is boring?
This has a total of 15 carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment